Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Country Ham and Macaroni Casserole

Country Ham and Macaroni Casserole
Sandy~Bettyinthekitchen

1 lb country ham slices or regular smoked ham in one piece
1 large onion, diced
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine, melted
1 cup dry plain bread crumbs

1. Heat oven to 400º.
2. Bring 4 quarts water and ham to boiling in large pot. Once water begins to boil, remove ham to a plate. Add onion and macaroni to pot. Return water to boiling; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Coarsely chop ham, discarding any fat and bones.
4. Drain macaroni and onion and return to pot. Add ham, cheese, sour cream and soup. Scrape into a 13x9x2 baking dish. Pour melted margarine over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
5. Bake in heated 400º oven 30 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Note: Prepare in two 8x8 casserole dishes, bake one and freeze one (unbaked) for another day.



Tommy's Ham Casserole

2 cups cubed or shredded ham
3 cups cooked macaroni
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream
of mushroom soup
1/2 (10.75 ounce) can milk
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a casserole dish, combine the ham, macaroni, cheese, soup and milk. Mix together well.

3. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Uncover, top with the bread crumbs, and bake, uncovered for 10 more minutes.


This was really good, but I did alter the recipe slightly. I sauteed a medium sized onion along with 1 clove of garlic and added that to the cheese sauce. The only change I made to the cheese sauce was to add 1 tsp of dry mustard powder. I cooked 4 cups of macaroni as suggested by other reviewers and I also added about 1-1.5 cups of diced leftover ham. Lastly, instead of breadcrumbs for the topping, I crushed up some Ritz crackers, mixed with some shredded cheddar cheese and dumped a few tablespoons of melted butter of the top; this is a fabulous topping that my mother uses when she makes mac & cheese. The dish turned out really, really good...but I think next time I make it, I will add 3 cups of macaroni only, DH and I would like the cheese sauce a little more moist, but this is only a personal preference. 


This was a pretty good way to help get rid of all our ham leftovers. I followed some previous suggestions and included a bag of frozen broccoli - this was a very good suggestion to round out the meal. We also included more milk as some previous posters suggested but when we make it again, I think I'll stick with the 1 cup like the recipe recommends (just too milky for our tastes). We did include more cheese, but we're cheese-lovers so we do that most of the time. I can see where the 1/4 cup of dijonaise mustard would add some extra kick. We might try that next time. Definitely a tasty way to re-do the ham, overall! I think this one is a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I had linked to a similar recipe for Leftover Ham Casserole on your other blog, My Food Files, on my blog: http://www.recipelionblog.com/ham-it-up-on-fat-tuesday/. I couldn't figure out how to contact you via email through either of these blogs. I would like to chat with you about linking recipes in the future. You have some great recipes!

    Thanks!

    Blair

    ReplyDelete